Welcome to Ark Burlington Danes Academy. We serve pupils aged 11-18 from our local community in the borough of Hammersmith & Fulham. At Ark Burlington Danes Academy, we will be the ones to make our world a better place.’
Our Academy culture and core values act as the multiplier to make every decision, action and interaction within the Academy stronger and more effective. We live and breathe these values, every minute of every day at BDA so every student is empowered to live a life that is purposeful, fulfilling and be the ones to make the world a better place. Every single student at BDA will achieve outcomes that enable them to compete with anyone in society, regardless of any challenges that they face, by taking ownership of their actions and understanding that these will determine their future success and create their character as an individual.
All staff at BDA strive to continually learn and improve so that they can be the very best teacher, leader and support staff member and therefore ensure our students have the education and character to achieve anything they set their mind to. The Academy has the highest expectations for all, and we will make no apologies for that. Our school culture and core values is our compass throughout our journey to ensure our students receive the very best education every single day.
Having been founded as a Christian charity school in 1699, we are proud not just of our heritage and significant history, but especially of how this Christian ethos permeates all aspects of our school life. Our focus on our students achieving exceptional exam results drives our excellent academic outcomes and enables our students to access the best universities and careers, with over 50% of our students gaining a place at a Russell Group university. Our unique curriculum offer encompasses a highly academic range of subjects and a structured enrichment offer which takes full advantage of our unique sports, arts and music facilities as the largest school site in central London.
Our carefully curated programme helps our students to develop their confidence, resilience and character, enabling them to become the leaders of the future. Our commitment to our students’ broader development is evident throughout the cultural life of our school and our pioneering work on diversity, demonstrating why Burlington Danes is such a special place to learn.
Mr David Carr
Our vision and Values
We have high expectations in everything we do every day so that we can fulfil our goals and dreams.
- We always go into lessons with a positive attitude and desire to do our best
- We always set ambitious goals for our futures and are equipped to achieve them.
- We always take pride in our class and homework.
- We always strive for 100% attendance, and we are on time for school and lessons, every day.
- We always wear our full school uniform with pride.
- We always follow instructions first time from all members of staff.
Our Christian Values
The scripture says, "I spoke because I believed." In the same spirit of faith we also speak because we believe. (2 Corinthians 4:13);
May you know the love of Christ...Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. (Ephesians 3:19)
This is underpinned by our faith and leadership
We challenge ourselves and we keep going when things are difficult.
- We act resiliently to overcome our difficulties.
- We make decisions selflessly and do the right thing even when our friends and peers around us may not be and encourage others to do the same
- We contribute ideas and opinions and ask for help when we need it.
- We push ourselves to try new things outside our comfort zones.
- We take responsibility when we have done something wrong and we learn from our mistakes.
Our Christian Values
…Continue in your faith, established and firm, do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. (Colossians 1:23)
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:9)
This is underpinned by our courage and resilience
We use every interaction to demonstrate our care for others. This encourages everyone to be the best version of themselves.
- We always conduct ourselves calmly, considerately and with good manners in and outside of school.
- We support individuals to be the best version of themselves through giving them support and feedback.
- We actively listen to each other and demonstrate empathy for others.
- We value one another for being different, stand up to bullying and accept, include, and empower everyone in our community.
- We take pride in and show respect for our school environment, local community, and ourselves.
Our Christian Values
Tell them not to speak evil of anyone, but to be peaceful and friendly, and always to show a gentle attitude toward everyone. (Titus 3:2)
We know that in all things God works for good with those who love him, those whom he has called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
This is underpinned by our love and compassion for our community.
Every day, we actively seize the chance to learn, even from our mistakes, and we are curious about new knowledge and skills.
- We track, listen and question to deepen our knowledge and to improve.
- We see our mistakes as opportunities to learn and improve.
- We seek opportunities to learn everywhere – at home, through enrichment, within our community.
- We arrive at school ready and equipped to learn.
- We take responsibility for our role in our own learning at home and in school.
Our Christian Values
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3: 14)
This is underpinned by our commitment.
We follow the pillars shared across the Ark schools network:
Strong discipline – Calm, purpose and order will be established through consistent expectations and explicit teaching of discipline.
Mastery curriculum – Our curriculum design will enable pupils to develop a framework of knowledge and understanding in each subject area that provides a solid foundation for further study.
High quality teaching – Teachers will be subject experts with an excellent understanding of the intellectual journey they are taking their pupils on, and they will master the teaching skills to support this.
Character development – Pupils will develop characteristics that support their academic achievement, create thoughtful citizens and allow them to make reflective choices over their personal lives.
Raising aspirations and achievement – Pupils will understand the opportunities that a school and university education can afford them in terms of careers and quality of life. Pupils will develop their passions and interests through a high quality enrichment programme.
Developing educational leaders – All members of staff will see themselves as leaders within an aligned community of professionals and will be systematically trained in best practice.
Organisation – We will be relentlessly focussed on our pillars and will organise our time effectively to ensure we can implement them fully in all aspects of our school.
With the largest school site in Central London, we have some fantastic facilities that rival most grammar schools. Sitting in 11 acres of land we have state of the art sporting facilities, including a professional quality gym, a third generation astro-turf pitch, numerous tennis courts and one of the largest school playing fields in London.
Our established site has grown to include a range of buildings, our original Burlington Building is Grade 2 Listed and one of the only examples of a school built in the 1920s Art Deco ‘Nautical’ style. With drama and dance studios, a recording suite and a professional standard theatre, we are well equipped to provide a high quality environment that can accommodate a range of curricular and enrichment opportunities for our students.
Sixth form welcome
Our provision for ages 16-18.