Attendance and Punctuality Policy
Burlington Danes Academy aims to provide a full and effective education for all our students to ensure they achieve their potential in all that they do.
To view our full Attendance and Punctuality policy, click here.
Is Your Child Missing Out?
Focus on Attendance and Punctuality
Research has shown regular attendance and good punctuality are crucial factors in pupils achieving their full potential. Ark Burlington Danes Academy is committed to providing a full and efficient education to all, and encouraging our children to strive for excellence. Therefore, for a pupil to reach their full educational achievement, a high level of attendance is essential. We wish to work in partnership with parents and carers and so are seeking your full support in ensuring that your child attends the academy every day and on time. We are always pleased to work together with parents/carers in resolving any difficulties but we are also committed to improving attendance levels at Ark Burlington Danes.
The target attendance figure for all pupils is a minimum of 96% attendance. Based on current attendance figures your child will be placed in one of the following groups below. Your child will be informed of their Attendance Group:
Group 1: No Concern -
The child attends for 97% - 100% of the time.
Group 2: Concern -
The child attends for 95% - 96.9% of the time.
Group 3: Risk of Underachievement -
he child attends for 93% - 94.9% of the time.
Group 4: Severe Risk of Underachievement -
The child attends for 90% - 92.9% of the time.
Group 5: Extreme Risk of Underachievement -
The child attends for 0% - 89.9% of the time.
Impact on Attainment:
- Attendance of 96% or above: Their highest possible target grade English and maths
- Attendance of 90% or above: One grade below their highest target grade in English and maths.
- Attendance of 80% or above: Up to two grades below in English and maths
- Attendance of 70% or above: It becomes increasingly unlikely that they will achieve a grade in English and maths.
Regular attendance is not just a legal requirement, but it is vital for pupils to maximize their learning, and achieve full potential here at Ark Burlington Danes. There are a number of important steps that you can take to ensure your child maintains a high level of attendance:
Ensure your child attends every day, on time, equipped and ready to learn. The academy day begins at 8.30am and all pupils need to be onsite by 8.25am.
Ensure the academy has up-to-date addresses and telephone numbers. We will contact you by text or by telephone if your child is absent and you have not contacted the academy. This ensures that truancy is quickly identified and enables us to communicate any issues with you efficiently.
If your child is ill, contact the academy and provide an explanatory note on their return to the academy. Please make sure you telephone the academy every day your child is absent.
If you wish to check that your child has arrived at the academy contact the main office. They will inform you if your child has been registered.
If no contact is received regarding the absence, it is recorded as unauthorised. Ultimately the academy is responsible for deciding if the absence is acceptable or not. Only genuine absence will be authorised. You will be asked to provide medical evidence if your child has a poor attendance record. There are other key ways to ensure excellent attendance:
- Ensure that all medical appointments are made outside of academy hours.
- Avoid any trivial absence such as, ‘buying new shoes’. This will not be accepted as a reasonable absence.
- Holidays should not be taken in School time. Holidays will not be authorised during term time.
- Respond to all letters or telephone calls regarding attendance and punctuality.
- Contact your child’s tutor if you are experiencing difficulty in getting your child into the academy.
Thank you for working in partnership with us to achieve the highest possible levels of attendance and punctuality at Ark Burlington Danes Academy.